Here are the top and most important tips in choosing your East Bay Realtor if you are looking to buy a home in 2022. The housing market is forecast to remain strong: Zillow has called for home value growth of 11% in 2022. This is down from the record year-end pace of 19.5% in 2021 but still indicates a strong real estate market. Having the right real estate agent is essential during these unprecedented times.
Listing Agent Characteristics
You could be working with a real estate agent anywhere from a few weeks to several months. As a result, having an agent you get along with is strongly advised. Here are some top characteristics both buyers and sellers should look for in an agent:
- Honest. Agents should be honest and sincere.
- Experience. Agents who have sold many homes have learned many tips along the way that can save you from making mistakes that cost you time (and money).
- Good communication skills. This includes availability. Your realtor should return your calls within a reasonable time and be able to explain the buying/selling process in a language you can understand.
- Education. In addition to the real estate license, many top real estate agents have additional certifications. Popular certifications include the following:
- Accredited Buyer’s Representative (ABR®)
- Seniors Real Estate Specialist® (SRES®)
- Seller Representative Specialist (SRS)
- Military Relocation Professional (MRP)
- Certified Residential Specialist (CRS)
There are many certifications for real estate agents. Ask them what certifications they have. This may help determine if they are the right agent for you.
- Excellent negotiation skills. A good real estate agent will work hard to get you the best deal, not just settle for the quick sale or commission.
- Networking. Work with an agent who knows others in the industry. They may be able to refer you to others (attorneys, contractors, etc.) who may be able to assist you further.
Get a Referral
This is probably one of the best ways to get a real estate agent. Many people choose agents based on referrals from friends, neighbors, relatives, or colleagues. Ask people you know if they have a real estate agent they’d recommend and why they like that person.
Meet With East Bay Realtor
Consider talking to 3 or more agents. This allows you to compare them and see which agent is the best fit for your needs. Here are a few key questions to ask potential agents:
- What’s your preferred method of communication?
- How many clients do you have?
- Do you work primarily with buyers or sellers?
- Are you part of a team or work as an individual agent?
- What does the closing process entail?
- How familiar are you with the area I’m interested in? (For buyers)
- How many buyers/sellers have you worked with? How were the experiences?
- What marketing strategies will you be using? (For sellers)
Ask them all the same questions and compare their responses.
Explain Your Strategy
If you’re selling your home, do you want to have open houses? How many showings do you want to have? For buyers, what’s your availability? How often can you tour homes? Weekends only? After 5? Tell the agent your strategy to make sure they understand your plans and if they are able to accommodate them.
Get on the Same Page
For sellers, it’s critical you and your real estate agent agree on the following key points:
- List price
- Contract length
- Commission structure
- What is the plan if your home doesn’t sell after a certain period?
Discuss each in detail and get them in writing.
In addition to the tips listed above, the following are things to look for in a real estate agent:
- Good reviews from previous clients
- Familiar with your area
- Reputation for closing deals
- Can provide upfront quotes
- Experience in your specific buying/selling situation
- Good listener
Choosing the right real estate agent is essential. Take the time to ask the right questions and get to know your agent. This could be the difference between having a pleasant real estate experience or one to forget.
About Range Homes
Are you looking to buy or sell a home? Range Homes has helped customers buy and sell homes in Lafayette, California for years. We have some great market data to help you pick the perfect area and are ready to help you find your dream home during these unprecedented times. Contact us HERE for your real estate needs.