This summer, try these simple house hacks from Range Homes that can save you money and make your life that much easier:
1. Use coffee grounds to keep the ants away
Most ants don’t like the smell of coffee grounds. As a result, they will avoid it at all costs. Sprinkle the grounds in the small cracks and other areas where ants enter your home and will stop them coming in. Note: The coffee won’t kill the ants, it just keeps them at bay. As a result, it will eventually lose its potency and must be replaced or refreshed as needed.
2. Clean patio furniture with white vinegar
White vinegar can be used to remove mildew stains and prevent mold from forming. Simply fill a spray bottle with white vinegar and spritz the affected areas.
Here are few other great uses for white vinegar:
- Wipe down your computer with water and white vinegar. (Note: let it dry completely before turning the computer on.)
- Peel off old wallpaper with a water and vinegar mixture
- Clean your showerhead by soaking it in white vinegar overnight.
- Make a homemade insect repellant with water, garlic, and white vinegar mixture in a spray bottle.
3. Remove sand with baby powder.
Tired of bringing sand home from the beach? Baby powder can be used to help remove sand by simply sprinkling it on your feet and other affected areas. The baby powder helps to dry out the sand, making it easier to brush off the body.
4. Keep food and drinks cool with bubble wrap.
Next time you go on a picnic, don’t forget the bubble wrap: wrapping drinks in bubble wrap can help keep them cool on hot summer days. This hack also works for foods that must be chilled as well.
5. Maximize the use of dryer sheets.
Dryer sheets can be used for much more than laundry:
- Place a few in your suitcase when traveling to decrease any odors on your clothes.
- Add a few drops of water on a used dryer sheet to remove soap scum on bayhroom walls.
- Put a dryer sheet in the bottom of the trash can to reduce smells.
- Place in sock drawers or closets to keep clothes smelling fresh.
6. Deodorize sneakers with salt.
Sneakers and other shoes can get smelly, especially if socks aren’t worn. Salt can soak up the moisture (and the odor it causes).
7. Bake and dry clothes at night to keep home temps down.
This summer, resist the urge to bake foods or use the dryer during the day. Ovens and dryers could make the house even hotter, especially if used when outside temps are at their highest. This can force the a/c unit to work even harder (and longer) to cool the house down. The result could be a higher electric bill. Instead, use these appliances at night when the sun has set and the house is naturally cooler.
8. Run fans counterclockwise in the summer.
Running the fan counterclockwise allows the air to blow straight down instead of up towards the ceiling. This can create a “windchill” effect and make you feel cooler.
9. Repel mosquitoes with fans.
When entertaining people outside, take a fan or two. Mosquitos are weak flyers, which means they have difficulty latching onto hosts on breezy days. In addition, the fan will help dilute the carbon dioxide and body odors that attract mosquitos, which also makes it harder for them to find you.
10. Protect plans with hydrogen peroxide.
Spray on plants to keep them free of fungi. With a spray bottle, simply combine one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in every cup of water.
Here are a few additional uses of hydrogen peroxide:
- Soak your toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide for three to five minutes to kill germs.
- Remove ear wax buildup by pouring a few drops inside the ear via a liquid dropper. Let sit in the ear for a few minutes then take a napkin and tilt the ear the other way, allowing the napkin to catch the hydrogen peroxide when it comes out.
These are just a few simple and easy home hacks from Range Homes to try this summer!
About Range Homes
Are you looking to buy or sell a home? Need help determining your next move? Having a licensed real estate agent is essential. Here at Range Homes, we have helped our customers buy and sell homes for years. We also have great market data to help you pick the perfect area and are ready to help you find your dream home during these unprecedented times. Contact us HERE for your real estate needs.
Why East Bay CA?
East Bay CA is known for its good economy, beautiful landscapes, and extremely popular housing market. When other states and territories have experienced a decline in housing prices the Bay Area, in general, has remained strong. This doesn’t mean you should not diversify your portfolio across many states, but Range Homes Realtors agree that this is certainly a strong place to start for a novice investor. There are even some great low-cost homes that are ripe for renovation.
We have a team of friendly, helpful Range Homes Realtors that specialize in East Bay CA real estate and property sales that can help you work out how to best get your property portfolio started. Our agents are here to put your needs first, get you the best deals and offers, help you buy or sell your dream home and build your investment portfolio. Reach out to our team today to find out your options.
If you are looking to find a Range Homes Realtor, looking for homes for sale in East Bay CA, or even to sell your home with someone who will make sure you get the best deal and understand your needs – look no further – when you work with us, consider yourself family.